13 Jan 22
Role of Modern Web Design Elements to Generate More Enquiries From Your Website
In the world of boutique web design melbourne, we see many clients who are luxury or high-end and struggle with conversions in a soft-sell way. Big bold red sales discounts and signage are just garish and completely inappropriate in trying to generate more enquiries. So how should it be done?
Whether you’re at the start of looking for website designing services simply to optimise your existing platform, we break down the different web areas you need to focus on, and the web design elements that can be tweaked within each one.
Small businesses tend to spend a lot of time, money, and energy on driving traffic to their websites, but in fact: that’s the easy part. The biggest challenge is converting as much of that traffic as possible through purposeful conversion rate optimisation. And in the order of things, it’s the step that should come first.
No matter how great your service is or how niche your products are, high conversions don’t just happen, you need to optimise for it.
General Conversion Statistics
These numbers give a bit of background into the importance of conversion optimisation for small businesses.
- The average website conversion rate is 2.35% – if you’re hitting around the 2-3% mark, you’re not doing too badly. The top 25% of websites have conversion rates of at least 5.31%, (Source)
- Web design alone forms 75% of the judgment of a company’s credibility. (Source)
- Once visitors come to the homepage of your site, 86% of them want information about your products or services. 64% expect to have your contact information and 52% want to know about your business. You should keep these figures in mind when designing your homepage. (Source)
75% of people base the credibility of a business on how their website looks. (Source)
44% of website visitors will leave a company’s website if there’s no contact information. (Source)
- 70% of small business websites don’t have a call to action (Source)
A call to action is an element that tells people to do something. You might have them in button or text form, and typically tell people to:
- Complete their order
- Add a product to their cart
- Download a piece of content
- Submit a form
- Follow you on social media
Website Visual Design Elements
These numbers highlight the design elements that play a big role in helping your website convert. Your branding agency or digital web designer are key in executing a design that builds trust and excitement in your customer.
White space is a term used for the amount of “empty” space that acts as a buffer and breathing room between the elements on your page. If your website is crowded, it can be overwhelming and hard to create a straightforward user journey.
- A strong colour palette will help create cohesiveness in your brand experiences across different platformsAccording to the web design industry, using green as the website’s primary colour increases traffic by 3%. Blue comes second with a 2% increment. Red themes decrease traffic by 1.35%. (Source)
Conversion Optimised Content Layouts
Regardless of which industry your business falls under, content is universal. We all use the same numbers and words to communicate. So it’s important to differentiate yours, with a conversion optimised layout.
- A good website layout idea is to include video content – it’s 53 times more likely to land on the first page of Google. While people are often hesitant to read heavy blocks of text, videos appear effortless and can be consumed very quickly. (Source)
- 61.5% of visitors leave websites with lousy navigation. (Source – Goodfirms)
- People spend an average of 88% more time on web pages with videos. (Source – WebFX)
- Web design stats show 70% of people look at lists with bullet points, while 55% look at lists without bullets.
- Your site must show an overall business rating and customer testimonials on the homepage. 85% of customers trust online reviews and testimonials as much as personal recommendations. (Source)
- It’s high time to optimise your website’s design for voice searches and wearables. 38% of consumers are interested in using a voice assistant (like Google Now or Siri) and 25% want to try wearable devices for online interaction. (Source)
- Cart abandonment on the desktop is 67.1%, but the rate jumps to 77.8% on mobile. Ensure your website is responsive and mobile-optimised. (Source)
- Reducing the number of form fields from 11 to 4 generates 120% more conversions. (Source)
Build & Backend Development Components
We’ve touched on web design elements that you can see. However a lot of conversion optimisation has to do with the engine of the website, which is the backend.
Web design products and services depend on competent developers to ensure code is built correctly and with structural integrity to run well. Here are some web design elements that are important to note, even if they’re behind the scenes.
- 85% of adults think that a company’s website when viewed on a mobile device should be as good or better than its desktop website. (Source)
- 47% of Users expect a maximum of 2 seconds loading time for an average website (Source)
- A 0.1-second increase in load time can significantly improve a website’s performance. It resulted in a whole host of benefits
- 8% to 10% more conversions
- 10% more money spent
- 7% to 8% more pages viewed
- Product page bounce rates improved by 5%
- E-commerce customer engagement increased by 5%
How Can We Help You
There are many aspects of a website that contribute to priming a website visitor to convert. The more elements you are able to optimise, the better the user experience will be for your potential customers and the higher the chance they will choose to engage with you and follow through to the end.
Conversion optimisation is a thoroughly involved process and we recommend creating a plan which addresses all the different conversion checkpoints, to ensure nothing is missed. These cover small but constant adjustments, such as enhancing the visual design of some parts, increasing the legibility of the content, usability of functional components like a form and personability of your website.
We hope you find this article useful, in outlining some key components of your website that you can optimise for conversion. Our team of designers and developers are built to provide web design services for small business with design flair and optimised conversion potential. Feel free to give us a call on 03 9912 6403 if you have any questions.